Suffering from vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed with 60 k iu and SRT 25. What should I do?

Question
I am suffering from vitamin D 3 deficiency since last 3 years. when the problem was diagnosed it was only 5.41 ng/ ml and I was pregnant that time. after delivery I was fine after one year of delivery again face acute pain in leg and doctor advised me Test. the level was again only 6 ng/ ml. doctor put me in high dose of 60 k iu once a week for 12 weeks. then 1000 iu daily for 4 weeks. till now level is only 13.44 ng/ ml. feel very tired and fatigue all the day. once another doctor suggest me a medicine SRT 25 , which was of reducing stress but I felt sleepy all the day. so I have not takzen that medicine. suggest me what should be the next course of action.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vit D deficiency is a treatable condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Good Day to you.

I fully appreciate your concerns.

* If you are still a lactating mother, you require higher amount of Calcium daily.

* If I had been your treating doctor, I would have recommended- in addition to adequate calcium supplement- switching over to high doses of synthetic Vitamin D3 (Calcitriol) - up to 1mcg daily, with regular, close monitoring of Blood Calcium, phosphorous and Vitamin D levels.

* In view of symptoms of extreme tiredness and lethargy, it would be worthwhile to get your Thyroid hormonal assay done to exclude/confirm thyroid disorder; Blood sugar to exclude diabetes; hemoglobin levels to exclude significant anemia.

* In view of prevailing stress, it can be Post-Pregnancy Psychosis. If you are still breastfeeding the baby, you should consult a Psychiatrist who will prescribe a safe drug that does not get secreted in the breast milk.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal

Follow-up: Suffering from vitamin D deficiency. Prescribed with 60 k iu and SRT 25. What should I do? 25 minutes later
first I am not still lactating mother, second I have taken calcium too regularly, I am attaching my last reports for your reference. even thyroid, blood sugar all these done time to time. but all found negative. in between I too diagnosed with asthma too. and having inhaler livolin, combihale ff 250 twice daily along with tab montair lc. doctor said after that much dose, I should recover . if you think I should take daily dose prescribed me the right medicine and in what time sunlight will be helpful.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue prescribed treatment. Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am,

Thanks for the valuable input and investigation reports. I have gone through the reports and all are normal. I could not find your Thyroid report.

* You being non-lactating, makes my job easier. There is NO REASON, WHATSOEVER, to be worried. So, Please RELAX!!

* Taking Calcium alone will not solve the problem in the presence of Vit D deficiency. Vitamin D3 (Calcitriol) facilitates absorption of calcium from intestine into the blood, so that it is readily available for strengthening the skeletal system.

* Hence, take Vitamin D3 (Calcitriol) 1 microgram daily. Repeat Blood Vit D, Calcium and Phosphorous levels after a month and thereafter, at monthly intervals. Dose of calcitriol SHOULD be reduced once Blood Vitamin D level is > 30. However, dose of Calcium should not be reduced.

* Please continue with the treatment DAILY/REGULARLY for Asthma, as advised by your doctor. There is no need of modifying the prescription if you are comfortable.

* Lastly, Bone Densitometry test will demonstrate whether the calcium content in the bones is normal or not. Please get the said investigation done at the earliest. The report will guide your treating doctor as to how much calcium + Vitamin D3 will be required, after Blood Vitamin D level crosses 30.

* Lastly, at least 30 minutes of daily exposure to bright sunlight at noon, will be adequate, provided that the WHOLE BODY is DIRECTLY exposed to sunlight.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal