Vein above left ankle popping in and out while bending. History of right knee ligament tear. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
A vein over my left ankle pops in and out when I bend up and down, it is not too painful and the vein does not surface when I am sitting,
I actually had a ligament tare, 2 years ago in my right knee, I had to bank on my left leg completely for 6 months, after that I started to feel my left leg weaken.
Please suggest what I should do to treat this.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
I have seen the image attached with the query.
The vein above your ankle that pops out is most likely due to the superficial disposition of the vein.
It is seen due to a lesser subcutaneous fat- a fat cushion layer that is normally present beneath our skin and covers up all these superficial structures to give a smooth looking skin. A thinner layer of subcutaneous fat is not able to conceal your superficial veins properly which can be seen from outside.

An overuse of the left knee due to an injured right knee is not likely to cause any weakness in the leg. Rather this is likely to cause a muscle hypertrophy in the area.
Let me reassure you that it is just a normal variation and you need not be distressed. A painless visible vein is not a health problem.There is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Vein above left ankle popping in and out while bending. History of right knee ligament tear. Treatment? 18 hours later
Thanks for the information, but the problem is it hurts a little bit when i bend down to fetch something, without bending my knees. it aggravates when stand or play for too long. Is that a problem. Is there anything that i can do to lessen the pain.

Saaketh Velamakanni
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the venous prominence is painful then varicose veins or venous congestion which occurs when the valves in your leg veins don't work properly to keep blood moving efficiently from your legs to your heart needs to be ruled out. This causes pain in legs and sometimes swelling. Obesity can be a contributing factor.

You need to get your arterial blood pressure using an ultrasound stethoscope (Doppler), color Doppler and a MRA (magnetic resonance angiography) done.
Till that time, follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:

1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.

2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).

3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks. You can also use a compression bandage.

4) Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.