Using varenicline to quit smoking. Can it be detected in a drug test?

Hello, about to starting taking Champix, the stop smoking pill also knows as Chantix and Varenicline. I am randomly drugged screened and want to know if it would show up on a drug screen.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 6 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I would like to complement you for your effort to quit smoking. Varenicline- an alpha4 beta2 nicotine receptor blocker is indeed a great choice to quit smoking. As for drug screen, as if you have taken a drug whose half life falls within the test date, you will show positive. For eg 1 week for nicotine/heroin and 1 month for cannabis/marijuana products. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Specialist-Addiction medicine