Taking treatment for schizophrenia. Is it safe to quit smoking with the help of champix tablet?

Psychiatrist
Question
Is it a wise move for a person with schizophrenia currently being treated, to try to quit smoking with the help of the champix tablet?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Schizophrenia

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 39 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query. The prevalence of smoking is far higher in schizophrenics than among normal population for which a number of theories have been advanced. Smoking cessation is a part of management protocol in schizophrenia. Champix is varenicline an alpha 4 beta 2 receptor agonist effective for smoking cessation. Hence my advise would be to proceed in this direction. Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking treatment for schizophrenia. Is it safe to quit smoking with the help of champix tablet? 29 minutes later
What are some things that i need to look out for to stop me from relapsing and ending up in hospital again. side effects and symptoms. on the tablet information pack it also mentions that it could be to higher risk to those with a mental illness.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Hello.......
Champix/Varenicline can worsen depressive symptoms and induce suicidal ideation in depressed patients and adolescents. Hence, the warning on the pack. In case of schizophrenics, it is reasonably safe. I would also suggest you undertake motivation enhancement and relapse prevention sessions with a clinical psychologist after you have quit smoking. Also, you need to ensure drug compliance and regular follow ups with your psychiatrist once on antipsychotics. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist