Using tampon for bad odour and noticed traces of blood. What could be the problem?

Mar 2013
I have had an odor in my female area for over 5 years. I have had to use a tampon everyday since in order to address the odor. Recently, I noticed that when I change tampons, there are traces of blood on the tampon. This has occurred for over 3-4 months.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: INFECTION / ATROPHIC VAGINITIS LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query. There is a very strong possibility that you are having a pelvic infection. The odour is very strongly suggestive of that, and substantiating symptoms would be - pain in abdomen, itching, painful intercourse, vaginal discharge etc. Let me know if you are having any of these. Even if not, the characteristic odour in itself should be investigated. For a patient walking into my clinic, I would recommend a thorough per vaginum and per speculum examination, and a vaginal swab to diagnose the specific organism causing the infection. According to the results, antibiotic therapy should be initiated. Also, another strong possibility is that you are 44, and around peri menopause ( transitional changes, which can begin in your body some time ahead of actual menopause ). During this period, the body's hormones fluctuate rapidly, leading to disturbances in the pH of the vagina. Also, the vaginal mucosa and uterine lining become quite fragile, delicate, prone to easy breakability and thus hosting infections easily. This could explain the mild spotting seen on your tampon ( atrophic vaginitis and atrophic endometritis - due to extreme thinning of the lining membranes ). Perimenopause in itself can lead to erratic spotting - often anxiety, stress, weight gain, hypothyroidism, endometrial hyperplasia , travelling and erratic sleep and diet - can exacerbate these issues. Please have a gynecological examination ( per vaginum and per speculum ) , a vaginal swab test, pelvic ultrasound, blood tests ( FSH, LH, TSH ) , urine examination . This would yield a definitive diagnosis. As general pointers - Wear cotton non allergic undergarments. Avoid keeping the private parts damp and wet. Do not douche / clean / rub / rinse vigorously. Use plain lukewarm water for cleaning, instead of medicated soaps / perfumes / cleansers . Have a balanced diet and regular exercise in moderation. Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.