Using retin-a for rosacea. Spots appeared on neck, chin and chest area. Proper cure?

Hello, I am 57 yrs. old, and smack in the middle of menopause. I have rosacea (the blemish kind) on my face that I've been treating with retin-A. A few weeks ago, I got a couple of blemishes on my neck and under my chin. Knowing that the skin on my neck is super-sensitive, I just lightly dabbed those spots with the retin-A. My skin kind of overreacted, and the redness spread to my neck and chest. (It can be very itchy.) I stopped using the retin-A on those areas immediately, but now I have a permanent heat rash. It's very red, itchy, and irritated. I've tried using Benadryl, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Thanks for the query posted.
I would be pleased to assist with your problem.
You have got Irritant Contact Dermatitis . In the Winter when the humidity level in the air decreases , the skin becomes more sensitive .

The Retin A cream should be avoided totally on your skin now . It exfoliates the skin and has resulted in your condition .

You have taken the right step by stopping the Retin A cream. You should use over the counter Cortaid cream which will help in reducing the irritation . Bendaryl does not help in irritant contact dermatitis .
Please do book an appointment with the Dermatologist for a follow up .