Using Butrans for neuroma. Getting severe burning pain in toes. Side effect?

Have been using Butrans (10mcg) for about 2 weeks for a long existing (10 years) nuroma (?) which cause severe burning pain in both big toes at rest. (Have had just about every test possible and tried every kind of pain medication available except the opioids.) My Dr. suggested we give "Butrans" a try. After two weeks there has been no decrease in pain level, in fact, it seems that the pain level has increased. In addition, it seems to worsen memory as well as making me sleepy all day as well as giving me strange and intense dreams at night. Is it possible that Butrans can increase pain levels?
Anything you can contribute on this subject will be most appreciated.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may try alternate treatment

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Butrans is a promising drug for chronic severe pain but unfortunately caused adverse effects in you.
There is no literature to suggest that it can increase pain albeit it can cause arthralgia which may look like increased pain.
You should resort to local anesthesia infiltration to ease the pain.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Using Butrans for neuroma. Getting severe burning pain in toes. Side effect? 20 hours later
"resort to local anesthesia infiltration to ease the pain" - Such as?
I have tried just about all legal prescriptions that claim to ease pain but do not.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
local infiltration can be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
There are some effective options in local infiltration treatments.
You should contact a specialized pain clinic in your area.
Local infiltration of xylocaine and epinephrine can give immediate relief and a local injection of steroid Kenacort or ethanol can provide prolonged or permanent relief in good proportion of patients.
That may be helpful for you as well.