Urge to urinate frequently, feeling of bladder/vaginal infection, nausea. What these symptoms suggest?

Woke up with the feeling of maybe a possible bladder infection symptom. I had the urgency to pee. It did not hurt terrible to pee. I had two more urgencies since I have been up. Not sure now if it is a onset of a vaginal infection, yeast infection or beginning of a bladder infection. I felt this feeling on Monday also, but not yesterday. But seems back this morning. I also felt a bit nausea when I first woke up. Not nausea now. Feeling of sysmtoms seem to be going away again as morning goes on.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

Following are the symptoms of urinary tract infection:
1. Pain in the abdomen, supra-pubic or in the flanks.
2. Bloated sensation in the abdomen.
3. Burning sensation while passing urine.
4. Frequency and urgency of passing urine.
5. Foul smelling or cloudy urine.
6. Fever with or without chills.
7. Associated nausea and vomiting occasionally.

Vaginal infections usually present with discharge, itching and burning in the vaginal area.

Coming to your query, your symptoms do not point towards a full blown infection. It could be the beginning of an urinary tract infection or could be due to lack of water intake.

My advise to you would be,
1. To drink plenty of water (at least 2 liters/day).
2. Take some urinary alkalinizing agent which help in flushing the bacteria out if any. Your good idea to get a Urine-routine test done.

Hope, I have answered all your queries. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Urge to urinate frequently, feeling of bladder/vaginal infection, nausea. What these symptoms suggest? 2 hours later
I only have a small bit of warm sensation when passing urine. I have not had the urgency to go for a few hours. Seems as if it has subsided again. I do have a slight nausea feeling. No real pain in the abdomen. I don't feel bloated. My fist pee at 5 am had a strong smell, but have not noticed it since. I took my temp and read 96.93.
I don't have any discharge.

I can admit I do not drink enough water.
Would this have symptoms come and go over a course of days?
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 10 minutes later

Thank you for following up.

My suggestion to you would be as follows:

1. To start drinking adequate amount of water. At least 2 liters/day.
2. Try and avoid aerated drinks.
3. Keep your private area clean by flushing it with water after visiting the wash room and then wiping it dry.
4. Try and drink Cranberry juice. It is supposed to act as an alkalinizing agent.
5. Get a Urine-Routine examination done.
6. Reach out to your symptoms persist or worsen.

Your symptoms would gradually reduce if it is a simple infection. If the urine report comes positive, you would need a course of anti-biotic medication to clear the infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Wish you good health.