Urge to cough and pressure in chest, pain in breath. Why is it persistent?

All of a sudden I feel the urge to cough and my chest feels like pressure is being applied to it. I am able to take XXXXXXX breaths without issue but after taking a XXXXXXX breath i am inclined to cough and feel slight pain discomfort when coughing after the XXXXXXX breath. Been happening for about the last hour
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will provide you with some information and recommendations here.

I have to say that the symptoms you have described make me suspicious that you have a very mild degree of asthma. While you may not have a history of chronic asthma in the past sometimes if your lungs become inflamed from exposure to a virus or perhaps pollen or dust this can create what we refer to as reactive airway. This type of thing can be treated very easily with a prescription inhaler.

The most common in Hillero that we used to treat this type of thing is called albuterol. I realize that it is now the weekend and it is probably very difficult for you to a pain medical care outside of visiting and urgent care center or emergency room. If your symptoms are continuing without improving I recommend that you do visit one of these facilities to have a federal consultation as well as examination. The medical provider may then consider providing you with an inhaler.

I thank you very much again for submitting your question. I hope you have found this to be a helpful forum If you have any additional follow-up concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr. Robert