Upset stomach, diabetic, heart patient, old-age. Suggestion?

I am from bangalore. I am having stomach upset. visit toilet in every 3 hrs. not feeling hungry. I am 70 yr old , diabetic and heart patient. Please suggest some medicine.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 24 minutes later

You seem have developed Acute Gastroenteritis. Its most likely due to contaminated food and water.

Most of such illness subside by itself.
However, if you have moderate to severe symptoms, have feeling of weakness and fatigue or have fever, you might need a course of antibiotics. Please see a general physician for a complete examination and evaluation.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Take Oral Re-hydration Solution (IRS) - Electral powder as much as you can. Ideally 200 - 300 ml after each loose stools.
2. Take soft diet only for next 2 - 3 days
3. You can consider taking antibiotics of fluoroquinolone group along with Metronidazole after discussing with your doctor. Its a safe medication considering your age and diabetes. And also an Anti-Diarrheal drug to reduce your stool frequency.
4. You should consult your primary physician for modification of you anti-diabetic medications as your are not able to eat well.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran.