Upset stomach, PVCs, no breathlessness or dizziness. Connection with thyroid function or vagus nerve?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I used to have occasional PVCs (or PACs) not sure which and have had all the work-ups done from cardiologist. Everything came back normal and negative. A week ago I had an upset stomach and that started the PVCs. I have had them for the past week just about every day. Everyone says they are benign and not to worry. They came out of the blue and there has to be a connection with thyroid function or my irritated vagus nerve. Can some one please offer some help.
I am healthy otherwise and do not have any shortness of breath, dizziness etc. I just need to stop these extremely annoying PVCs. Thanks for your insight.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

As your doctor has rightly pointed out they are benign from the point of not being very XXXXXXX in terms of complications. But as is case in you they can be very troblesome symptomatically when they occur. Mostly they are due to increased adrenergic drive when you are under stress or having pain or discomfort.

About the treatment yes there are medicines available such as beta blockers which make you less symptomatic. But if you get these with only triggers such as stomch upset or so than there is no need for regular medical treatment.

You should just try some relaxation techinques such as meditation or yoga. If it doesnt help than do ask for medicines from your physician. Generally you will feel much better if you can start ignoring these VPCs rather than get annoyed.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please write back if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Upset stomach, PVCs, no breathlessness or dizziness. Connection with thyroid function or vagus nerve? 1 hour later
Dr. Koregol - thank you very kindly for your response and your reassurance that these PVC's, although very annoying, are not harmful. as I stated previously, my heart is in good shape with normal wall motion and EF, I have good sinus rhythm and I hvae no signs of any arterial plaque.
Dr. is there any connection between a possible thyroid and PVC's? I just don't know why I was fine for several months and then all of a sudden they appeared last week.
Could there be any issues with electrical stimulus in the atria?
I have had some stress this past month and it may have manifested lately.
Thanks doctor Koregol for any answers you are able to provide to the above questions. You are the best! Warm regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 14 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Yes there can be connection between IBS and VPCs as both are vegally mediated and IBS is a form of stress disorder, as is physical.

Thyroid disorders are known to be associated with almost all kinds of cardiac arrythmias. Only if arrythmia Atrial fibrillation or Atrial flutter or Supra Ventricular Tachycardia, they are related to atrial activity.

Yes sometime there can be delay between precipitating stress and manifestation of it.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further concerns.