Unprotected sex, third day of period. Pregnancy chances and ways to avoid it ?

I am 32 years old and married with a 6 year old kid. me n my husband had unprotected sex on the third day of my period (yesterday). what is the possibility of me getting pregnant? is there any way to avoid pregnancy now?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Having unprotected sex on third day of the period is very rarely associated with pregnancy. The first nine days of the period are considered as the safe period if you are having a regular 28-32 day cycle. I hope you have counted the first day of your bleeding as day 1.
Still if you want to be doubly sure, you can take an emergency contraceptive like I-pill if within 72 hours of the unprotected sex.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, third day of period. Pregnancy chances and ways to avoid it ? 23 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor. I have been having a normal 28 days cycle very regularly however in the last few months i have been having little erratic periods. like in April the cycle was 30 days and then in May it got back to regular 28 days and again in XXXXXXX it is 25 days. so I am a little concerned abt the cycle.
Also with regard to the emergency contraceptive pills i have heard few side effects like vomiting and early periods, bleeding etc. Are these side effects temporary, i.e. they will last only till the next period or will they have a long term impact on my periods cycle?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
Variation of the cycle by 2-3 days is a normal variation and you need not worry about getting conceived with such a small variation.
Emergency contraceptive pills do have all the side effects that you have mentioned. These side effects do remain for 1-2 cycles and there are no long term effects on the period cycle.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.