Unprotected sex, ipill within 24 hours, safe to take to avoid pregnancy ?

Dear Doctor,

I have a query on I-PILL. I had an unprotected sex on the 15th day of my periods. I took an I-Pill within 24hrs after that. I need to know how safe is this pill to avoid pregnancy. What all can I do to avoid getting pregnant. (it has been one week that I have taken the pill).

Kindly provide an answer soon.

Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I-pill has success rate about 85%in preventing pregnancy if taken within 24 hours.But there are side effects of the pill which cannot be avoided may not be serious but commonly presented ion most of women using it.

Common side effects encountered with this drug are abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness,missed periods, inter-menstrual bleeding, breast tenderness etc.

I am afraid to say that now ( after a week ) there are no interventions you can go to prevent pregnancy, but to wait for next due date and get a pregnancy test if period is missed.

I would consider the risk of pregnancy ion you very low as you have taken the Pill.Need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, ipill within 24 hours, safe to take to avoid pregnancy ? 5 minutes later
Thank you doctor. But is it normal that I have not suffered from any of the side effects so far?

Also, as u say one of the side effect is missed periods, if that happens then in that case, the preg test devices that we get in the stores these days, would that act as a 100% confirmation of the status?

Hi again,

Yes , they are safe.Only Frequent use is not advisable.

In case you miss period as a side effects of the pill , you may have to get the urine pregnancy test which may show negative and yes, its not 100 % confirmatory there you may need a Blood HCG test which is more sensitive.

Hope i answered you doubts completely.