Unprotected sex during ovulation period. Taken emergency contraceptive pill. Chances of pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
My ovulation was supposed to happen sometime during Feb 11th-Feb 13th. I had unprotected intercourse on Feb 11th. I had neil-72 contraceptive pill the next day (within 12 hours). Is there a chance for me to get pregnant despite having the emergency contraceptive
how effective is neil-72 as an emergency contraceptive?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later

Unprotected intercourse at the time of ovulation leads to pregnancy. But as you have consumed tablet niel-72 which is an effective emergency contraceptive pill within 12 hours of intercourse it interferes with fertilization and lowers chances of pregnancy to less than 3-5%.

In simple words Neil-72 is an effective emergency contraception and if taken within 72 hours of intercourse it is known to prevent 95-97% of pregnancies.

Since you have taken it at the right time (within 12 hours), do not worry; your chances of getting pregnant are extremely less.

Though very effective, emergency contraception like neil-72 should not be used often. I would recommend the use of regular birth control pills instead.

I hope I answered queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Unprotected sex during ovulation period. Taken emergency contraceptive pill. Chances of pregnancy? 18 hours later
Thanks for the answer. I have a daughter who is 18 months old. I get my periods regularly (28 days) and am able to see the cervical mucus during the time of ovulation but am not able to predict the exact date of ovulation....is there a way to track the exact date of ovulation?what is the best way to avoid or postpone pregnancy apart from the usage of condoms?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 39 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

If you have regular 28 day period, your ovulation will be around day 14. Maximum pregnancy chances are 2 days before and after 14th day. Try avoiding sex on those days if you don’t wish to be pregnant.

Exact way to predict ovulation would be by Follicular growth monitoring by ultrasound. Serum LH (Luteinizing Hormone) levels are also of value.

Best modes of contraception (avoid or postpone pregnancy) other than condom for you would be:

1) Oral contraceptive pills (Birth control pills)

2) Intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD).

3) Implants (eg. Implanon)

I hope I answered queries. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Unprotected sex during ovulation period. Taken emergency contraceptive pill. Chances of pregnancy? 25 hours later
Under what circumstances do emergency contraceptives fail apart from having it after 72 hours?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 22 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

If 1,000 women have unprotected intercourse in the middle two weeks of their menstrual cycles, approximately 80 will become pregnant. Use of emergency contraceptive pills would reduce this number by 75 percent, to 20 women.

If you are on any medication that is likely to interfere in metabolism of the emergency contraceptive, it may also result in failure.

But failure chances are pretty low. Hence don’t worry. If you are still concerned, go for IUCD.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex during ovulation period. Taken emergency contraceptive pill. Chances of pregnancy? 4 days later
Hello Sir,
Its been a week since I had my emergency contraceptive pill. Suddenly the color of my areola has darkened and i have been feeling very tired for the last two days, i have a terrible pain on my wisdom teeth as well. Can the areola color darken due to the effects of emergency contraceptive pill. I am still feeding my 18 months old daughter and still have milk supply, is it because of this reason that the areola is dark? am worried if i may be pregnant...

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

The symptoms you are describing are not related to the Emergency contraceptive (EC)pills. Pregnancy won’t cause these symptoms so soon. Hence don’t worry about pregnancy at this early stage.

Are you looking at it very closely? – If at all there is something, I probably feel it is something focal like some sort of infection or probably due to breast feeds. You may consider visiting your gynecologist for direct examination to confirm the cause.

The tooth ache is also not related to EC pills or pregnancy. If the pain is severe, it may have to be removed. Please see dentist for it.

Do not worry. You are unlikely to be pregnant.

I hope this answers you query. Please accept my answer if no more queries.