Unprotected sex. Had blood on penis. If infected with HCV, will it affect HIV testing? HIV tests conclusive?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello doctor I had A lot of unprotected sex with the same female.  I found he had a questionable background after the fact.  One sexual encounter I had blood on my penis from her.  I also used her razor to shave one morning.  I had rapid HIV testing done.  I had 2 oraquick mouth swabs at 8 and 9 weeks.  Also a unigold fingerprick blood test done at 11 weeks both negative.  I have read about hcv delaying HIV showing positive I also read that it does not in anyway affect HIV testing.  I have read conflicting info all over so I figure I would just ask a pro.  So doc if I were infected with hcv as well could that delay the HIV testing showing positive passed 11 weeks?  Are my HIV tests conclusive?  I am on no viral meds or anything I just happen to read about the possibility of coinfection and different opinions.  Thanks for your detailed reply doc have a good day.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 12 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I think you have been tested well for HIV. Testing for HIV usually involves detecting antibodies against this virus. It usually takes about 6 weeks – 3 months for these antibodies to form. Since the reports are negative (even at 11 weeks), I think we are pretty well covered on that front.
However, in a few rare cases, antibodies may take upto 6 months to form. So I suggest you get a repeat test at 6 months.
HCV co infection is not known to delay the formation of antibodies against HIV.
However, you did not mention about being tested for Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B. They are as XXXXXXX as HIV and I strongly suggest that you get tested for them as well. The required tests would be a HBs antigen and anti-HCV antibodies.
These infections can also be acquired sexually and should be looked for in case there is a history of exposure.
Once you get the tests done, we can discuss the reports.
Awaiting your response.
Warm regards

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Had blood on penis. If infected with HCV, will it affect HIV testing? HIV tests conclusive? 2 hours later
Thanks doctor. I had a hep b antigen test around 10 weeks negative and also have been vaccinated for it. I had negative hep c test at 7 & 9 weeks post final exposure with this female. As well as screened for the other stds that are common. Your thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

This is superb news.

Well, now I think you can relax and let the past go. It is a bygone now.

However, I must ask you to adequate protection during sexual intercourse the next time around.

Thanks