Ask a Urologist   »  

Underwent bilateral ureteroscopy. Experiencing severe cramping in lower back and abdomen, constipation, fluid retention. Normal?

my girlfriend underwent a bilateral ureteroscopy with Holmium laser, JJ stent placement on 5/15/13 and is now experiencing severe cramping in the lower back and abdomen, constipation, fluid retention. Is this normal?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Symptoms like abdominal cramping and lower back pain might be experienced for a few days after the ureteroscopy, but are on the list of side effects that have to be reported to the treating doctor.

But effects like constipation could be because of diet. Has your girlfriend being started on a normal solid diet or not? If not, then either this or the effect of the anesthesia could be the reason (depending on when the procedure was conducted). But if she is still constipated even after a normal diet and more than 3-5 days after the procedure, then this is not normal.

Fluid retention should last for a few days, due to the placement of the stents which might lead to slight inflammation, if this continues, the cause have to be looked into.

I hope this information was helpful. You can always write back to me for more information on this, or if I have forgotten to address anything or for any other queries. I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.