Undergone treatment for lympnode TB. Smoked couple of times during the treatment. Will it cause any problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i smoked twice on different days duing my treatment i.e after 4 months of treatment of lympnode tb (neck), My weight has increased 5 kg during this treatment. I only smoked once or twice after abcess was cleared and the skin was healed. Hope it will not create a problem. Defn i have quit smoking but one off in every 10 to 15 days is ok during treatment
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 28 minutes later
It's a well known fact that a smoke or a couple of smokes now can lead you to further increase the frequency and make you a chain smoker in future .
As of now according to the details you have provided there is negligible risk of such a couple of smokes , worsening your illness or interference with your current treatment ( anti tubercular drugs) assuming you had only a couple of smokes in a month.
However please remember that smoking decreases your lungs and body's immunity power and makes it susceptible to infections , tb , cancer etc.
Also it causes delayed healing of any ongoing inflammation . It also increases the toxicity of the medicines on the body .
So it's best to refrain from smoking if you have really quit it . This will ensure that you regain your health faster and ensure a cure .
Hope that answers your query.
Follow-up: Undergone treatment for lympnode TB. Smoked couple of times during the treatment. Will it cause any problem? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will defn keep this in mind, as i realised my mistake in time. I am bit relived now after your update. One smoke or many , from now onwards... i wont smoke irrespective of negligible risk. Even after completing the treatment i am not going to take it and want to live tension free life.

After reading couple of articles it mentions that lymphnode TB is related to HIV. But my lymphnode got healed quite quickly and i feel more energetic, and have gained considerable weight.

Hope i have not to worry about HIV aspect. this things keeps on negging me. I can say that i was used to smoke lots before TB was diagnosed. And this could be reason for lymphone TB
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry.
Smoking itself is a risk factor for lymph node Tb and in India , tuberculosis is very common and not related only to HIV . It's true that HIV positive people commonly get Tb but its also true that in India there are millions of normal hiv negative people who have Tb .
If you have no other symptoms ,no high risk sexual exposure ,your health is otherwise improving , then you neednot worry about HIV .
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries , in case there are none , kindly accept my answer to close the query.