Undergoing anxiety therapy and struggling with this. Any advice?

By all accounts I am a healthy young man,but whenever I have a physical ailment I always assume the worse. I am in therapy for anxiety,but constantly struggle with this and it drives my family crazy. Any advice?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
Thanks for your query. What you describe is a negative/pessimistic view of things happening in life , what we call as a distorted cognition or "catastrophisation". Being on anti-anxiety medication is fine. The other way to go about it is to seek help from a trained clinical psychologist for what is called as "cognitive restructuring exercises". This will help in the way you perceive thoughts and intrepret them. This i feel would be ideal in your case. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar