Underactive thyroid,anemia,hysterectomy,increased heart beat

I'm a 40 yr old female, 5'6" 130 lbs, i have an underactive thyroid and am on synthroid (200 mcg daily). I've had anemia but had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago so I don't think that is an issue anymore. I've been exercising on a fairly regular basis for the past 7 years and I enjoy running. I've never had the stamina to do it (even as a teen) but I did get to the point where I could run for a solid 20 - 30 minutes without stopping. Since I hit 40 (in january) my ability to run has gone downhill to the point where I can barely do it. As soon as I start to run, my heartbeat races immediately and I feel as if my heart is going to burst out of my skin. I also feel as if I'm drowning. At this time I can only run for maybe 2 minutes at a time and it's an incredible struggle. This only happens when I run, any ideas?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Having hypothyroidism and Anemia can cause some of the issues that you have mentioned in the above history. But when these conditions are managed accordingly and have been treated, they should cease to be symptomatic. If tests have not been done to confirm the resolution of the 2 conditions, then I would suggest you to repeat a Thyroid function test and a complete blood count to confirm the same.

The cause of the palpitations and fatigue may be due to cardiac causes (Hypertension, arrhythmias) as well as lung related issues (exercise induced asthma, etc). Others include stress, ‎obesity, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc

Hence you would benefit by consulting your primary doctor and getting evaluated with a few tests as mentioned below-

‎1. Chest Xray
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Holter monitor
4. A lung function tests
5. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial), Glycosyated hemoglobin levels

In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-

‎1. Echocardiography
‎2. Tread mill test
‎3. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations.

I hope this helps. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to address them.

Dr Deepak Anvekar.‎