Ultrasound showed increase in prostate size. Should I be worried about prostate cancer?

I am little concerned over my ultrasound (normal, not the rectal ultrasound) results. The doctors said that it is all fine however when I compared the results with the ones 4 months ago, there is a significance difference in the size of the prostate. Last time it was 17 ml, now 26.
In september I had also my PSA test, it was 0,8 with fpsa around 30%.
Is there is a significant reason to think about the prostate cancer or does the size of the prostate actually vary?
With best regards
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Prostate size assessment may be done in various ways.
Clinical examination by finger insertion in the rectum/ Ultrasound scan through the abdomen/ ultrasound scan through the rectum.
Of the two scans, the trans-rectal scan is more accurate in assessing the size and not the trans-abdominal route.
I have seen in clinical practice, such variations and the size as such is not a criteria for treatment.
The FEEL on rectal examination, your symptoms, residual urine on scan, uroflowmetry and serum PSA values have to be taken into consideration for starting the right treatment.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any.
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed increase in prostate size. Should I be worried about prostate cancer? 8 minutes later
Thanks a millioin Dr Grinivasan.

I have made all the urinanlysis (was perfectly fine) made also in October and together with nickel spot test onlya very, very mild prostatis was found which was cured with Ciprinol. During the test I also did not feel any pain.
Today I am also feeling well, there is no other problems than just the damn number.

The serum PSA values were 0,8 and around 30% for fPSA.

Considering this and to make it short - may I relax over the christmas as this does appear to be a major concern?

Wishing you a great festive season,
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 19 minutes later
Welcome back.
Of course you can relax. The size of the prostate alone is not a cause of worry.
Thank you for your wish.
I wish you a great festive season too.