Ultrasound showed gall stone, bulky uterus and thick endometrial echoes. Abnormal periods at the age of fifty-three

Hello DR. My mother is 53 yrs old and still gets her periods but from past an year it is abnormal once in 2-3 months... She has got her abdominal ultrasound done and the impression are as under:

Large solitary gallstone-25 mm
Bulky uterus with an anterior right lateral wall subserous fibroid-5.0 cm
Thick endometrial echoes-20 mm

Please suggest wat can be done is there anything serious
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate your concern.

There are 2 noticeable finding in her ultrasound report.

1. Gall stone: The size is big and I think you need to consult a surgeon for this. Depending upon the problem that she might have like indigestion etc.the doctor will advise treatment. In most of the cases removal of gall bladder is the only solution which can be offered. Still your doctor will be better person to advice on this.

2. The main concern which is having right now: is irregularity in periods. Ultrasound is suggestive of fibroid: means a ball like structure in the wall of uterus which may be reason for pain and irregular bleeding. Her endometrium (the lining of uterine cavity) is thick. This could be due to some hormonal imbalance or some other abnormality.

There is nothing serious but it needs proper evaluation and treatment.

Please visit a gynaecologist who will examine her and depending upon the complains and other things treatment like medicines etc. will be suggested.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.