Ultrasound showed dominant follicle. How do I know it's not cancerous? What tests should I do?

Thank you very much for your Help. I had an ultrasound done of my lower abdomine and on my right ovary there is a Dominant Follicle of 1.4cm my right ovary is 9cc and the left ovary is 6cc how do I know if its not cancerous? what tests would I need to get done to find out is its cancerous? Is having this Follicle dangerous?, should it be removed? I also have endometriosis with 1 previous operation. So basically will I need an operation to get rid of the follicle in the right ovary? if you could help that would be great! thanks again for you time. Have a nice night :) Kind Regards Sonja
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Right ovary showing a dominant follicle of 1.4 cm is an absolutely normal finding. It is suggestive of the ongoing process of ovulation in your ovary. It is not at all suggestive of cancer. To confirm this you can get a repeat ultrasound scan done after your periods in which this cyst should disappear.
This follicle is most likely not related to endometriosis and you do need any surgery right now. There is nothing to panic.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.