Twitching in the thigh. Reason and advise for treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Why is my left thigh twitching? It feels like a cell phone is on light vibrate in my left pocket. Weird. Will happen 4 or 5 times in a row then stop for a few minutes.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
From your description it seems that you are having a nerve root irritation symptoms.
The most common cause of such symptoms is a disc prolapse in the lumbar region or a vitamin B complex or methylcobalamin deficiency. Electrolyte imbalance can also cause such symptoms.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
In case the problem is persistent investigations like nerve conduction studies, MRI of the lumbo sacral spine, electrolyte levels, etc are recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.