Twins have frequent cold, cough and fever. Taking nebulisation, crocin but still have runny nose and cough. Further?

Pediatrician
Question
I have twin boys, both aged 2 years plus.
For the last two months they are experiencing frequent cold/cough/fever one after other.
Following are some of the treatments given post consultation with pediatrician
1. Nebulisation twice every day
2. Relent
3. Crocin syrup DS during fever
The current situation is that both are active, sleep well in night . However they have running nose and cough.
During sleep they experience difficulty to breathe.
My regular pediatrician has also suggested to start with ODIMONT LC for 3 months
Looking forward for your advise
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
relax,there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

I understand your concern.

As per symptoms mentioned by you,your kids are having frequent respiratory

infections which is mostly viral or allergic in nature.

It is common for young children up to age 5 to 6 to have repeated infections as

their immunity is slowly building up .

This time they are having running nose with cough and difficulty in breathing.

I suggest you to give some decongestant with anti allergic preparation.

If such a patient will come to my clinic I will give syrup T minic 5ml three times a

day for 3 days and saline nasal drops to be used during sleep.

Steam inhalation is also very helpful.

Montelukast with levocetrizine is totally safe and is given in allergic broncitis.

Your pediatrician must be suspecting allergic nature of disease.

Most important is to maintain proper nutrition.
-give plenty of fluids,warm water will be soothing.
-give nutritious home made diet.
-avoid all kind of junk foods.

complete immunization as per schedule.

Hope I have answered your question,if you have any further query I would be glad to help.

Wishing your children good health,

God bless....

Follow-up: Twins have frequent cold, cough and fever. Taking nebulisation, crocin but still have runny nose and cough. Further? 41 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
thanks for the advise. Just few more details that I could share to you on my twins medical history

I have twin boys named Vivaan & Varish, both aged 2 years (Born on 27th July) plus. They are born after 36 week of gestation.

For the last two months they are experiencing frequent cold/cough/fever and chest congestion.

Vivaan
is having frequent chest infection and is put on antibiotics third time in three months. He is getting frequent attackts, as soone as he catches cold it becomes a chest infection. Also will have running nose.
Now he has completed one course of Advent, and relent for 5 days, and nebulization with Asthalin and Budecort(0.5mg) twice a day for 5 days. But still have yellowish thick mucus flowing from his nose . Consulted doctor last today and post review said he still has chest infection and asked to continue nebulization for 5 more days and to give a course of Odimont LC 5ml daily for 3months.

Varish

Suffers from cold, blocked nose finds difficulty to sleep. He always have allergy in the nasal track and currently have yellow mucus flowing out.
HE is not on any antibiotics, but nebulization with Asthalin and Budecort(0.5mg) twice a day for 5 days, relent for 5 days. Now adviced to give a course of Odimont LC 5ml daily for 3months.

best regards
XXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your kids are having hyperresponsive airway.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

After going through the details you have provided it is cleat that your children are

having hyper responsive airway disease or WARI(wheeze associated respiratory

infection)

I suggest you to be in regular follow up with your pediatrician.so as to evaluated

degree of symptoms that is mild,moderate or severe.

You should start odimont LC as it acts as prophylaxis.

I also suggest you to find any aggravating factors and try to avoid them.

common precipitating factors are;
-cold and humid climate.
-dust
-fumes
-animal dander
-smoke
-sprays.perfumes. etc.

In some there is supper added bacterial infection for which course of antibiotic is

needed as in case of XXXXXXX

These symptoms will decrease as they will grow ,

Hope this helps.

Take care...