Heart palpitation, fever, chest pain and headache. Chest X-ray is normal. What is wrong?

l have heart palpitating at night for about2 months only at night and it gets worse when laying down. about 2 weeks ago i started running a low grade temperature 99.9 and headache daily. about 7 days ago i started a dry hard cough with shortness of breath some back pain than about 3 days ago my chest pain got worse like a throbbing crushing pain and some night sweats. i went to the er and they bronchitis. but after antibiotic still not feeling great. i also quit smoking about a month and a half ago. never really sick so i qm kinda worried no medical history. any ideas would help. my ekg and chest xray they said was normal. but something is wrong.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lung infection.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

All the symptoms are due to lung infection and inflammation(Bronchitis).

Basically Bronchitis is inflammation of the small airway which causes cough and breathlessness. This causes recurrent chest infections due to accumulation of bronchial secretions in the lung.

Chest X XXXXXXX may not reveal the entire picture. You may need CT scan of the thoracic.

The management of this condition is use of bronchodilator and short course steroids to easy the airway and control the inflammation.

Antibiotics for chest infection.

Smoking acts as airway irritant and aggravates the condition. So Quit Smoking once for all.

Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Heart palpitation, fever, chest pain and headache. Chest X-ray is normal. What is wrong? 21 minutes later
thank you for reassuring me and i am done with the cigarettes. just hope i quit in time before to much damage
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

You're welcome.
To quit smoking, you can first try with a short term goal of not smoking. Slowly make it long term. Fix a date to quit.