Trying to quit smoking. What should I do for this?

I have been smoking for the last 12 years, i want to quit now ? How will I be able to do that ?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 44 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to us.
Its good to know that you have decided to quit smoking. The step towards quitting smoking to decide that you really want to quit. It is a difficult task but not impossible. Don’t wait for the perfect time to quit. Just decide & stop smoking.
Keep yourself occupied & engaged with some new hobbies so as to avoid cravings. Avoid people or places where you feel tempted to smoke.
Start making the changes to push smoking out of your everyday life - stop smoking in the house and in the car. Make your house and car smoke-free, so no one is allowed to smoke inside.
Consult your doctor to take nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). The nicotine patch, gum, lozenge or inhaler replaces some of the nicotine you usually get from cigarettes. This can make nicotine withdrawal easier to manage.
Be positive & believe in youself.Even if you smoke after quitting, don’t give up, try again. Be consistent in your efforts. Consult a Counsellor if you are finding it difficult to do it alone. Visit deaddiction clinic. Join a support group for people trying to quit smoking.
I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further query I will be happy to help you.
Take care & wish you all the best.