Trying to naturally regulate androgen and progesterone levels. Had hepatitis. Can I take birth control?

Question
Hi- I am a 22 year old female, 5'4 125 lbs. I do have some hormonal imbalance ( a bit more androgen than I'd want). I am trying to naturally regulate my androgen and progesterone levels. I want to go on BC ( I'm sexually active), however, I have been told that those who have had hepatitis in the past can't take birth control. Is this a myth? ( I caught it while on vacation in Senegal, Africa). My primary doctors are overseas and I don't have health insurance to afford the ones in NYC. I had been prescribed Microdiol ( which is a French BC) but I forgot to mention the whole hepatitis history. I also have a begnin cyst in my left breast. I am planning on having it surgically removed in the summer. Will the BC effect it?

Also- will the BC help balance my hormones? I'm on a diet, trying to naturally regulate my androgen level. I am taking vitex as a supplement and spearmint tea.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Since you have a history of hepatitis and benign breast disease, i would suggest you to get a liver function test and mammography before starting birth control pill.
Only if the above investigations are normal, proceed with BC pills.

Its very difficult to regulate hormonal imbalance naturally.
I recommend you to take BC pills for 3 months atleast.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask follow up queries.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Trying to naturally regulate androgen and progesterone levels. Had hepatitis. Can I take birth control? 11 minutes later
Would an CAT scan show if my liver functions well? I had a CAT scan done on my upper abdomen not long ago and it showed that every organ is in impeccable condition. Unless of course there's other tests to be done to actually know whether my liver is in great condition or not.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Good that CT scan shows your liver in a perfect condition.
Liver function test is a biochemical blood test which detects even minor early changes in liver which CT cannot detect.
So i suggest you to get a liver function test as well.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.

regards,
Dr Nilofer