Trying to increase weight. What should I do?

Nov 2013

My height is 174 cms and my weight is 52 kgs. I come under underweight category. I have tried my best to gain weight but without success. My activity levels are pretty high. I play badminton, do jogging everyday and there is no lethargy associated in my life style. My appetite is not very high and I eat moderate.

What could be the reason I am not gaining weight? and how much should I gain to have a normal BMI. Could this be because of any underlying disease?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your ideal body weight is 68 kg. As per your current weight and height, your BMI is 17 (normal range is 18.5-25), which is underweight.

Common diseases to be excluded for low weight (despite eating well) are:

1. Diabetes mellitus- can be excluded by blood test.

2. Thyroid problems- high level of thyroid hormones- can be excluded by blood test.

3. Malabsorption- in this condition, the food that one consumes does not get absorbed, and hence it is lost in stools. The diagnosis can be made in consultation with a gastroenterologist.

You should aim to gain at least 5 kg weight to have a normal BMI.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM