Trying to get pregnant. Could eating unhealthy food and sugar hurt an embryo before implantation?

Hi there!

I am trying to get pregnant and think I probably have PCOS and possible insulin resistance. I can be a bit of an emotional eater, and a week after ovulation (i use opks and temping to chart) I got rather depressed and ate a TON of fatty and sugary foods for a week. Then I read that high blood sugar levels can cause birth defects. I haven't had any refined sugar since then (6days past ovulation) but am feeling rather worried. Could eating so much unhealthy food and sugar hurt an embryo before implantation? (I had a negative pregnancy test at 8 days past ovulation today, so I'm guessing implantation hasn't happened yet.)

I keep reading that high blood glucose levels are very XXXXXXX in early pregnancy, but I'm trying to figure out how this could really cause harm before the embryo even implants.

Thank you!
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 hours later
High blood glucose levels are seen in diabetic mothers. Taking large amounts of refined sugars is not associated with high blood sugar levels unless there is an insulin resistance.
The effect of high blood glucose levels is seen only after implantation and this causes an oxygen deprivation thus interfering with the normal growth of the baby.
You can get your fasting blood glucose levels tested to know if you are pre-diabetic. In case the fasting blood glucose levels are raised then going for a glucose tolerance test is advisable.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.