Trying to conceive. Having brownish bleeding. What does it mean?

I usually have regular 5 day period on a 26-28 day cycle. I am try to conceive and for past 7 days I have had brown pink bleeding which still hasnt stopped. The brown pink bleeding started when my period was due. I only need 1-2 sanitary towel in a day. Could I be pregnant or what is wrong?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Maybe infection

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Any amount of bleeding is usually a sign that the woman is not pregnant. Though rarely in early stages of pregnancy there may be some spotting.

To remove the doubt you can get tested for pregnancy by doing urine or blood pregnancy test. Urine pregnancy test kits are available over-the counter at most pharmacies. Or you can get a prescription from your physician for a blood pregnancy test.

The brownish - pink bleeding may be a symptoms of decreased blood flow for just one time or it can be due to some infection. If it persists, we can rule out infections of the cervix by getting a pap-smear along with a urine analysis done.

In the meanwhile, you can make some lifestyle changes:

- Eat fruits and vegetables upto 5 times a day
- Take hygienic food and pure drinking water
- Use contraceptive measures like condom, etc

Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having brownish bleeding. What does it mean? 19 minutes later
So I dont need to see GP what if the discharge does not stop? I have only ever had one partner I have no serious infections etc
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try to find the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

All bleeds stop with or without medical intervention. If it does not stop then you will need further tests to find the cause.

I will ask a few questions that will give me an idea about your condition:
Are you taking some medicine, etc to help with pregnancy?
Have you undergone some gynecologic procedure recently?
What do you think is the probable cause?

If it does not stop then first thing to do is to take a pregnancy test. After that run an ultrasound of the pelvis. If these tests are negative then further testing will be required. Pap smear is usually done 10 - 12 days after the start of the menstrual periods and is not done during the periods.

Bleeding can be stopped with medicines as well but these can have side-effects.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Having brownish bleeding. What does it mean? 1 hour later
Hi I have had no medicines or procedure. I worry about cervical cancer
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pap smear should be tried for it

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Pap smear is the test that is routinely used to diagnose and monitor most of the cervix related issues, especially cervical cancer.

You may book an appointment with your physician for a pap smear and it will help clear the doubt.

Dr Vaishalee