Trying for a baby. Semen analysis done. What are the complications?

Infertility Specialist
Hello doctor,
My wife and I have been trying for a baby the past 6 months of which the past 4 months we have been trying during her ovulation period and trying with discipline. However, we have not been successful yet. She recently went for a pre-pregnancy test which included an ultrasound scan where everything was normal. I have now done a Semen Analysis as well and need your help to see if everything is normal with me. Here are the details:

Physical Examination - Colour Opaque-White, Volume 1.5ml, Reaction - Alkaline, Liquifaction Time - greater than 2 hours.
Chemical Examination - Fructose Test is positive
Microscopic Examination - Total Sperm Count - 110 mill, Actively Motile - 50%, Sluggishly Motile - 10%, Non Motile - 40%, Abnormal Forms - 3%, Immature Forms - 3%, Agglutination - Nil, Clumping - Nil, Pus Cells 1-2, RBC - Nil, Epithelial Cells - Nil, Otheres - Nil

Can you please check and share with me your insights and further steps?

Many thanks.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 31 minutes later

I understand your concern.

As per the details submitted, I find your semen analysis is microscopically normal except that the liquefaction time is very high (>2 hrs). Please recheck it by repeating the test.

Normal liquefaction time is around 15 to 20 minutes and this is maintained by prostatic enzymes in the semen.

To give an insight to your further treatment, I need to know certain facts.
1) Age of your wife and since how long you are planning for a pregnancy?
2) Details of her menstrual cycles - frequency and days of flow and whether associated with pain abdomen
3) What other evaluation has been done for your wife other than ultrasound? - If Hysterosalphingogram (HSG) was done.

Please provide the details; I will be happy to answer you.

Follow-up: Trying for a baby. Semen analysis done. What are the complications? 23 hours later
Hello doctor,

I understand the liquefaction time is very high. If I have to do the test again, do I have to wait a minimum number of days? Should I be abstaining from sex during this waiting period? Also, before I take the test again, is there any diet changes or multivitamins etc that I can take to achieve better results?

As for the facts:
1) Wife is 27 and we have been trying seriously the past 4-5 months during her ovulation days.
2) Frequency of menstrual cycle is between 28-31 days and there is 7 days of flow. She has strong (but bearable) pain on the first day of her periods always and sometimes takes a tablet to ease this pain.
3) Other than ultrasound, random glucose showed result as 88 and TSH was 2.76. HSG test was not done (unless it was part of the ultrasound).

Looking forward to your inputs.
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 14 hours later

Thanks for the feedback.

You can repeat your semen analysis after 3 days of abstinence and at another lab after 1 month.

Please quit smoking and alcohol (if any); these have detrimental effects on semen analysis. There are no other restrictions that apply.

I suggest you to try for 3 months more - this time with a dydrogesterone tablet. The medication can be taken by your wife preferably from day 16 of her menstrual cycle for few days. Her gynecologist or treating doctor can prescribe the right dosage and other instructions related to its use. If she doesn't conceive within this period, please go for HSG or a diagnostic hysterolaparoscopy evaluation of your wife, after which she can undergo ovarian stimulation with drugs.

The latter may reveal the cause of her pelvic pain (like endometriosis) which may be affecting fertility.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.