Treatment for increased heart rate, coldness in palms and feet due to hypertension?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi, I am a woman 64 y.o. With mild hypertension, treated with atenolol50 and atacand 8 mg. Also a diabetic under Control with a diet. Due to Hashimoto and related problems I am overweight. It is 2 am in Toronto, I came from work ( in a hospital, but I am non medical, social staff) and my heart start racing, Heart rate 112-120, bp 146/108. I don't feel any other symptoms or discomfort in my heart ( healthy so far). Plus a coldness in my palms and feet. I live alone and need your advise, should I go to emergency or just wait Till the morning and go to my family doctor. I used also aspirin under my tong. Please help, I never had such symptoms.....
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not serious. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Your heart rate is raised. However, episodes of this nature can occur intermittently in people with no underlying heart problems. A rate of 112-120 is marginally raised. I note your BP is slightly raised but this may be secondary to anxiety. If you are experiencing no symptoms such as chest tightness or chest pain, shortness of breath or dizziness then I consider this is not serious and is a normal occurrence. I suggest you rest or go to bed. If you develop any of the symptoms I have mentioned then a visit to the ER would be in order. I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA