Treated for liver failure and kidney failure. What causes constant metallic taste in his mouth?

Good evening! Can you tell me what causes my friend to have a constant metallic taste in his mouth? He has just come out hospital, 21 days, 11 of which were in ICU, liver failure, kidney failure, atrial fibrillation, heavily sedated with ventilator. Now he's home, on many meds, and has a constant metallic taste in his mouth. He's supposed to be on a 3000 cals a day and can't eat anything except dairy.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, the sensation of a metallic taste in the mouth may be caused by a variety of things. As of now for your friend the liver damage, hyperbilirubinemia and renal failure, as well as some medications can cause a metallic taste in the mouth. Some of these drugs include the antibiotics, thyroid medications, lithium, blood pressure drugs and potassium. Along with various medications, not drinking enough fluids can alter the way things taste. Increasing fluid intake can help minimize any taste changes. Kindly talk with his physician about his symptoms to modify the medications and improve his diet. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks