Ask a Urologist   »  

Treated for UTI with levoflox. Having recurrent attacks and culture showing Ecoli. Continue taking nft?

Hi Doctor
I am 52 yearmarried male and i got UTI in 2008 Fever chills Treated wid levoflox nw recurnt attcks every yr c/s shows nft .Hw long shd i take nft
I am taking nitrofurantoin 100 bd for 10 days . Culture shows E coli
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that you can take nitrofurantoin for 10 days but recurrent UTI needs evaluation .

You should get a USG Abdomen to look for any kidney issues and USG Prostate to look for any signs of Benign Hypertrophy of prostate . These two conditions are most common with patients of your age having recurrent UTI . Try to drink lots of water . Ask your doctor to add some urinary alkaliniser for this problem . Add cranberry juice to your diet .

I will advise you to consult a urologist for this.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Treated for UTI with levoflox. Having recurrent attacks and culture showing Ecoli. Continue taking nft? 17 minutes later
USG shows tiny mutiple calculi of 3-4 mm size , which started giving me bouts of pain in both flanks, there was fever and chills intially. I was put on levofloxacin 500 for 21 days with urispas tabs . I recovered fully . But from 2008 i got two more attacks . Urine sample showed E coli sensitive to noirofurantoin . I took niftran 100 bd for 10 days . It was ok. Now i am feeling same burning while urination and mild fever . I atarted niftran again.feeling better now. Tell me doctor how long should i continue with nitrofruantion to eleminate the infection completely
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for reverting back.

Well you need to do a urine c/s again to see if it is sterile to think that the infection has completely eradicated . If the cause is not treated you will get infection again .
You need to consult your treating doctor to ask how long it should continue because it cannot be decided just on the basis of symptoms.

Dr. Shruti