Ask a Urologist   »  

Can swollen red urethra protruding between legs, burning and pain be indications of UTI?

Jul 2016

I am 57 years old and had a went to my doctor and got a script two days ago for a UTI. Although the burning is not as bad the pain is getting worse. I was really having a hard time sitting down. I got a mirror and looked and my urethra is so red and swollen it is protruding out between my legs. should I go to the emergency room or give it another day of two?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is due to Acute UTI. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have acute UTI. . If the symptoms are severe you need to go to Emergency Room else wait for day or two and get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Can swollen red urethra protruding between legs, burning and pain be indications of UTI? 6 minutes later
Thanks will follow up with another appointment Monday. Last question.Is ciprofloxan get enough until Monday.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes ,You can take Ciprofloxacin. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Ciprofloxacin is equally effective in UTI, you can take it twice daily. Thanks and Regards, Dr.Patil.