Does c-toin help in reducing calcified granuloma in brain? What are the side effects of c-toin?

Nov 2013

my son have calcified granuloma 6mm in brain from last year and he is taking c-toin 2.5 tablets daily. .pls tell how long he will take this medicine..pls tell me better treatment. if possible and what the side effects of this ..if u need tomorrowi will send you cat
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through the CT scan brain report of your son. It shows a calcified granuloma, which is usually caused by infection such as tapeworm in the brain. Calcified lesion means the worm has died and only the residue is left. This calcified lesion can cause seizures (fits). I presume your son had fits. C-toin (phenytoin) is a medicine for preventing fits in the future. Phenytoin is a safe medicine, but if used for long, it may have side effects such as thickening of gums, imbalance while walking, etc. Other alternative medications safer than phenytoin are oxcarbazepine, carbamazepine and levetiracetam. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: