Treated for Parkinson's disease. On Carbidopa and Robinrole. Suggest permanent cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
What do you charge for your advice on my mild case of Parkinsons?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.
As of now, there is no cure for Parkinson's disease (PD) and it is unlikely that a cure would be found in the near future.
So, the currently available medications help in symptomatic improvement in PD patients.
Also, the duration of beneficial effect of each dose reduces as the duration of disease increases.
You are on standard and good medications at present. Other newer medicines that could be used in your case are entacapone and rasagiline.
Safinamide is another new drug that holds a lot of promise in near future.
Stem cell research in PD is ongoing.

I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Treated for Parkinson's disease. On Carbidopa and Robinrole. Suggest permanent cure? 1 hour later
THANKS for responding Doctor. I am already also on Rasagiine. I will ask my current Dr about entacapone, and safinamide. Fortunately, sdie effects of the meds I am now on are minor.

Insomnia, and constipation are really all that has changed and I can counteract those easily with a mid day nap, and stool softeners.

My sister works with local eldercare. She asked on my behalf several of her patients in their 70's and 80's that had PD, what their history was. They pretty much all said they developed the illness in their late 50's and is treatable. They
also said that symptoms that started on the left side did not really transfer to the right side.

A doctor I saw on the Internet at a PD symposium said......"if you have PD, you could not have picked a better time to have it. Help is on the way."

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I agree with you!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Yes, I see about 5-10 new cases of PD per month, and I have been practising since the past 15 years in this field. I also feel the same, that the next 10 years are going to positively change the scene in the field of PD treatment.

Safinamide would be a game changer, I was part of the clinical trial, and saw my patients benefit a lot. It may get FDA approval in a year or two.

Another game changer would be the success of stem cell therapy in PD, which may happen in the next few years.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Treated for Parkinson's disease. On Carbidopa and Robinrole. Suggest permanent cure? 55 minutes later
THANKS Doctor. I will pass on that info to my PD Doctor.

I read that to get a new drug into circulation, the drug cvompanies must lobby the FDA with alnost $ ONE BILLION in fees per grug.

This is rediculous............THANKS FOR YOUR CONSULTATION...........

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I again agree with you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Clinical trials themselves are very expensive, as drug companies have to foot the entire XXXXXXX and no governments ever sponsor a drug trial. On top of that, the cost of lobbying and marketing, no wonder any new drug is so expensive...out of reach of common man who is suffering....How I wish there were better solutions!

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)