Took sudafed for sinus congestion. Reason for strange metallic smell and tingling sensation on tongue?

I have a strange metallic smell in my nose many times when I inhale.. it disappears for a day and then returns. I have mild tingling on both sides of my tongue that also comes a goes for weeks now. there is no swelling or sign of infection in mouth. I am in good health, no chronic disease. I tend to have sinus congestion and take some sudafed some days.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The strange metallic smell in your nose is likely to be due to the sinus congestion that you have.
These symptoms are usually self limiting. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril
c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers.
d) Avoiding dust and allergies
e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.
The mild tingling on the sides of the tongue are likely to be related to take methylcobalamin supplements for 2 weeks and see if there is an improvement.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. RakhiTayal.