Took saphris. Having joint pain and stiff body movements. Difficulty in swallowing and tired all the time. Suggest the cure?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I took saphris for about nine months and still have symptoms,sweating muscle pain joint pain stiff body movements odd head movements difficulty swallowing difficulty sleeping weak sweat profusely agitated tired all the time robbed of my life
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes other than Saphris also need consideration.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

What I have understood from your query is that you took Saphris (asenapine) for 9 months and then stopped it but still have symptoms which you feel may be Saphris related. I would have liked to know when did you stop Saphris and when did the symptoms appear.

Out of the symptoms you have mentioned, only involuntary movements of the head can be expected to be present even after Saphris has stopped for some time. That too, if it is tardive dyskinesia. Tardive dyskinesia is a syndrome characterized by involuntary movements that usually appears a few months after antipsychotic medications like Saphris are started and can persist even after the medication is stopped. Even then, Saphris is not expected to cause this syndrome. It is more common with the first generation antipsychotics and rare with newer medications like Saphris. All other side effects that Saphris can cause, last only till the drug remains in the body and then go away.

I feel that the other symptoms that you have mentioned may be more likely to have been caused by your hypothyroid status and osteoarthritis than by Saphris. Or these could be related to the medicines that you are taking at present.

Please let me know what you feel about this so that we can discuss this further. Please also let me know when was Saphris stopped and when did the symptoms appear.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry