Took pill after unprotected sex. Got period and feeling bloated. HPT negative. Am I pregnant?

Mar 2016

I had unprotected sex 1/23/2013, I took my birthcontrol pill 12 hours late. The next day I took 2 pills. I got my period 1/30/2013. I'm having gas and bloating, and feeling sick. I took a pregnancy test, but it was negative. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Here, your chance of being pregnant is almost nil. Taking birth control pill after 12 hrs following unprotected sex is very much effective (more than 99.5%) in preventing unwanted pregnancy. On the other hand, taking additional 2 pills on next day also give extra protection against pregnancy. So, you have nothing to worry.

A withdrawal bleeding, similar to period, occurs within 7 days following taking the pill. You have gotten this period on 30th January. It is quite common and natural thing. But your next period may be delayed or earlier due to hormonal imbalance, associated with the effect of the pill.

Early pregnancy test is nothing significant. In rare cases, you may need to do one blood test for beta HCG or ultrasound scan for lower abdomen after 7 days of next missed period to exclude pregnancy.

Abdominal bloating and feeling of general weakness is common in some women after period over.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) use some medication like antacid tab for gas or indigestion problem.
5) Maintain personal hygiene properly & need adequate sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Took pill after unprotected sex. Got period and feeling bloated. HPT negative. Am I pregnant? 2 days later
I'm feeling better, but when I went to the bathroom today I noticed I had a little blood tinged discharge. Is this normal? I don't want to be pregnant. I am very stressed out, could this cause it?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Mild spotting may be due to effect of the pill associated with hormonal imbalance. For confirmation of pregnancy, you may undergo one blood test for beta hcg, which helps you to clear doubt & dilemma from your mind. Though, it is unlikely in your case.

Stress is an other factor for hormonal imbalance. You should follow all above said measures including avoidance of stress by XXXXXXX breathing/ yoga regularly.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself & maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Took pill after unprotected sex. Got period and feeling bloated. HPT negative. Am I pregnant? 46 hours later
I took a pill out of the next months pack when I took 2 pills the day after I took my pill late. Should I take my pills normal in that pack, and just start the placebo pills early, then start my next pill pack a day early?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 hours later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

First of all, you should exclude pregnancy 100% before taking or continuing any type of pill.

It is advisable to start with new packet pill which contains 21 hormone pill (active) and 7 placebo pill (inactive) to avoid missed pill & reduce contraceptive failure. Hormone pill should be started from day 1 of cycle & continue 3 weeks and after that 1 week off with taking placebo pills when you get your period. It should be taken regularly on same time for better remember.

Therefore, I suggest not to take previously used packet (that does not contain 21 pills) but you can take unused placebo pill for 7 days which does not effect with your chance of being pregnant.

Hope, I have cleared your doubt & above information will be very much helpful to you. You can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen.