Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect?

Question
Hello. This question is for an endocronoligist.

I went on short course oxandrolone treatment when i was a child aged 14 and a half, during beginning of puberty, to have growth.

I am now concerned about their effects.

I know the side effects of oxandrolone given in Cdgp boys clear up quickly. But what about the supposed 'desirable effects' such as stimulating growth, stimulating progress of HPG axis......THESE EFFECTS REMAIN FOREVER & DO NOT CLEAR

Or is there another way of looking at it. Any opinions?

Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 33 hours later
Oxandralone is synthetic testosterone analog. The effects are short lived or brief, very few days. The side effects are rare. This is safely used.

Since it is short lived there is no question of side effects after so many years.

Hope this clears.

Follow-up: Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect? 6 minutes later
An endocrinologist suggested it matures HP axis.

Which component of HP does it mature and what are the results of maturation....increased gnrh secretion perhaps??

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later
GnRH stimulates both LH and FSH. Oxandrolone has only a mild androgenic action. This is evident by changes in serum LH, testosterone and SHBG concentrations and by the lack of effect on FSH.

Ok, Oxandranolone is not known to cause maturation of HP axis. But higher doses can cause GnRH release and my above explanations holds good. Hence you would not have any effects.

As a therapy you would be given graded doses at 14 yrs of age. They are not known to cause any side effects.

I think this is better explanation that the direct answer which I gave in the second place.

Thank you

Follow-up: Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect? 38 hours later
Thanks Dr Mazumdar,

In 14.5 year old boy, does 2.5mg oxandrolone dose taken for short period leave any lasting legacy in the form of NEW CELLS formed or altered in any part of the body including brain, hypothalamus etc. ???

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 hours later
As far as I learnt pharmacology and the experts whom I approached had no difference in opinion. Hence you should be reassured about my advice. You should rest without too many thoughts.

Follow-up: Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect? 2 days later
You advised that its poddible in high dose that oxandrolone can increase gnrh release.

After cessation of oxandrolone endogonous hormones continue this high gnrh release and also increase it further.

doesnt this mean oxandrolones impact is permanent?

Also, what are the fate of new cells formed as aresult of oxandrolone treatment....especially in non renewable organs such as muscle cells.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 hours later
The release of GnRH is short time and I do not think the effects are permanent.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect? 27 hours later
Thanks,

kindly could you look into this matter for me, the fate of new cells after oxandrolone treatment.

Do they experience upregulate down regulate and thus change the contents of the cells? Does LH and Testosterone exist, albeit in minimal quantities, even in under 10 year old boys?

Or is it completely absent??
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 days later
Sorry it is a delayed reply on this forum.

Testosterone is present even before 10 years of age in boys but not significant amount. The LH levels are present before 10 yrs.

The surge is during the 12 to 14 yrs of age.