Took oral contraceptive after unprotected sex. Got period and missed next month. What is the cause?

May 2013
i had unprotected sex last month took oral contraceptive within 48 hrs got my last month period 5 days early and den now my period is delayed by almost a week. what can be the reason??
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

According to your description I am thinking that what you took was emergency contraceptive pill.
Emergency pill can alter the menstrual cycle depending on the time of the cycle when you took the pill.
If you took the pill in the first half of the cycle it will prepone the periods. That may be the reason for your early onset of periods in the last month.
For more details:
As the high dose of hormones in the pill will alter the levels of the XXXXXXX hormones it may take some time for the regularization of the periods.
So you wait for one week, possibly you will get periods by that time. If you do not get even after one week better to consult gynecologist once to take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.