Took deviry therapy to postpone periods. Diagnosed with small follicles in ovaries. Can I take metformin?

I got married last month and hence was on Deviry therapy to postpone my periods. After stopping Deviry, my periods began after 4-5 days. the periods stopped after 5 days and again after 8 days i have got another period. I was on Metformin therapy for 2 months and my periods had become regular with it. I had been diagnosed with small follicles in ovaries 3 month back. Can i start metformin today as it is the 1st day of my period? what should i do? Should i take Metformin from today? Or should i take any other medicine?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can start with Metformin as prescribed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The irregularity of your periods is due to postponing your periods with the help of hormonal tablets. Your periods are likely to regularize in next 1-2 months. Please do not worry. You can also restart the Metformin therapy for the small follicles that were detected in your ovaries from today. But it is advisable to consult a gynecologist for a physical examination to regulate the doses if needed. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Took deviry therapy to postpone periods. Diagnosed with small follicles in ovaries. Can I take metformin? 1 hour later
For how many days can i continue Metformin therapy? can it be done for 6 months or so?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. It can be taken continuously for 6 months. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes. You can continue it for 6 months. Metformin improves the cell's response to insulin, and helps move glucose into the cell. It also helps in regularizing the irregular periods and hence you will have regularity in periods also. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards