Took birth control pill. Got period and missed for next month. Is this normal?

Took XXXXXXX for one month I got my period right away on the normal day now I am 5 days late for the next period is this at all normal?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normally the use of oral birth control results in a regular period, this is one of the indications for birth control besides contraception.
It can cause the periods to become significantly lighter and in rare instances delay a period for up to a week especially if it is not taken exactly on schedule.

Though oral contraception work well there is a small chance of pregnancy.This risk is greater (1)if there is any history of vomiting or diarrhoea which would have resulted in decreased levels of the drugs,
(2) if any of the doses are missed,
(3) antibiotics are used concurrently.

Delayed period can occur for reasons other than pregnancy such as : emotional or physical stress, increase in a hormone called prolactin, abnormal levels of thyroid hormone, extreme physical activity and a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

You should consider waiting at least a week after the period was due, if it still does not come then do a pregnancy test.
If it is negative , then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions