Took benadryl. Took tylenol with codeine. Concerned. Will I wake up?

I took a benadryl about 2 hours ago, then without thinking about the benadryl, I took a tylenol with codeine to quell my cough. Now I am concerned about going to sleep...I hope I wake up!!
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

Thanks for your question. My name is Dr Omer and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I am sorry to hear about your problem.

First of all I would say there is nothing to worry about, as you have taken benadryl with codeine/tylenol.

Following are the reasons why you should not be worried at all.
Benadryl maximum sedative effect is around 1-3 hours, with complete excreation of drug in urine in 4-7 hours.

Benadryl when taken with codeine , benadryl diminishes the therapeutic effect of Codeine and prevent the metabolic conversion of codeine to its active metabolite morphine.

If your cold is prolonged, please add an antibiotic after discussing with your GP.

So you can go to sleep any time and you will wake up in hours as I described above.

Hope this helps and you have a sound sleep

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, if you have any question, please ask because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.