Took antibiotic for severe chest infection. Swiming in chlorine water, getting headache, sharp eye pain. Infection?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a severe chest infection which lasted five weeks and a terrible cough. I had four courses of antibiotics to clear it but nothing seemed to work. My cough was so bad I tore the cartilage on my ribs and have been in pain from that for three weeks but its healing. Two days ago I felt like I could be getting conjunctivitis which I haven't had for 25 years. But it has turned from feeling like I've been swimming in chlorine to a throbbing headache, deep eye socket pain in my right eye along with sharp pain to my eyeball, my eyelid looks a little saggy and my right cheekbone is throbbing. I sound like a hypercondriac (sp?) but I feel awful. My neck is aching all around I think it's my lymph nodes again. Could this be the same infection still hanging around? How could my immune system be so low. I'm 44 and no underlying illness. Been ill now since the end of January. Thanks for any advice.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your symptoms match a sinusitis and the eye signs may be a result of this.

2. Extreme weather is known to be accompanied by severe viral illnesses. It may not be a low immune system, but it may be a strong, resistent or multiple pathogen. Do you have fever?

3. Get a routine blood test, sputum examination, Chest and Sinus X-rays and an examination done by a physician, ENT Specialist and an Eye Specialist.

4. If this worsens, do not hesitate to get a CT Scan of the Sinuses done.

5. Meanwhile you should start medicated eye drops, medicated gargles and steam inhalation. Your cough syrup should be a cough suppressant and not an expectorant.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Took antibiotic for severe chest infection. Swiming in chlorine water, getting headache, sharp eye pain. Infection? 25 minutes later
Hi thanks for your quick reply.

No I do not have fever. Apart from the neck ache, headache, eye and cheek pain I feel ok. I do not have a cough anymore and all signs of my chest infection have gone with the exception of a horrible taste in my mouth still when I clear my throat now and then.

I don't have a blocked nose or any sign of any sinus issues?

I will go and see my gp tomorrow if it is as bad in the morning.

Thank you. XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The horrible taste in your mouth when you clear your throat is most probably a post nasal drip or phlegm following the chest infection.

2. You seem to be on the road to recovery, though the throbbing headache, cheek bone and eye signs and symptoms may be related to s residual sinusitis. A blocked nose is only one of the possible symptoms of nasal problems. It is good that there is no nasal obstruction.

3. You may follow up after your GP visit at bit.ly/dr-sumit-bhatti

Regards.