Tingling in palms, soles of feet, behind knees, legs, moderate pain on neck

I'm having episodes lasting 15 minutes to several hours of severe tingling of both the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. Often it is accompanied by tingling behind my knees or down the backs of my legs AND mild to moderate pain on one or both sides of my neck (like a crick) that goes away when the tingling stops. Any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of tingling of palms, soles and back of knee and neck pain when you have the tingling sensation.

1)     The first possibility is of a spinal cause like cervical stenosis or degeneration which is causing nerve irritation. nerve irritation may present with pain in the neck if cervical spine is involved and tingling and numbness in the upper extremities. Any spinal cause in the lower spine may be associated with tingling in the soles of feet and legs. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI whole spine done after consulting a neurologist.

2)     The second possibility at your age is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling in the extremities.
To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3)     The third possibility is of vitamin B 12 deficiency which is more pronounced if you are a vegetarian. You need to get the levels of vitamin B 12 done to rule out this possibility.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are XXXXXXX sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.