Tightness in throat, difficulty to swallow, excess saliva, difficult speech. Why the tightness ?

Neurologist
Question
Hi, I have been having tightness in my throat and difficulty to swallow for 7-8yrs. The recent and few ENT tests showed nothing wrong with my throat. I’d an endoscopy test 2 weeks ago (23.03.12) and the doctor said there was acid reflux and that might cause the symptoms im having.
Lately, I have been having difficulty to speak due to the throat tightness . The speech is not smooth and there are certain noun like s and r that I cant pronounce properly and my tongue is blocking my speech. My tongue feel softer than before.There are also excessive saliva in my mouth.

What really cause the tightness ? Do I have to be on long medication to get rid of the reflux and heal the tightness? are the throat tightness and speech problem due to neurological disorder?
Appreciate you advise as it is causing lots of stress to me nowadays.
Worried.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the details provided to me it looks like you are suffering from swallowing and speech problems. To me it looks like you are suffering from Neurological disorder which is affecting both swallowing and speech.

Acid reflux usually does not cause speech or swallowing problems. Your endoscopy images and report does not reveal evidence for strictures in the esophagus which can rarely be the cause of dysphagia. However speech problems are not seen with acid reflux.

So I personally request you to schedule an appointment with your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation. The problem can be anywhere from the muscles of the tongue and throat to neural control in the brain. Detailed Neurological examination, ENMG and MRI scan can localize the problem in you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Tightness in throat, difficulty to swallow, excess saliva, difficult speech. Why the tightness ? 2 hours later
thanks for your reply.

How are throats and speech connected? Each time when my throat get tighter, it gets more difficult to swallow and speak.

If the neurological problem is detected, what will normally be the treatment?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 11 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Muscles of the throat involved in swallowing are also the one involved in speech production (articulation). Hence in most neurological conditions involving the throat both speech and swallowing dysfunction occurs. So I advise you to XXXXXXX your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Tightness in throat, difficulty to swallow, excess saliva, difficult speech. Why the tightness ? 21 hours later
Thanks. Will the so called muscle problem or neurological issues also cause the flesh and tongue to go soft?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

In neurogenic throat problems muscles of the tongue can become flabby, soft and even wasted. Sometimes tremulousness and fasciculations of the tongue are seen due involvement of the muscles of the tongue.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist