Tied tubes,breast lactation.Pregnant?

Question
i have had a baby 21 months ago and had my tubes tied but my breast are starting to produce milk is it possible that i am pregnant
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Hello

A milky discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.

Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-examinations or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then having a pregnancy is a remote possibility.

The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.

All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist.

You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Tied tubes,breast lactation.Pregnant? 24 hours later
my tubes got tied after i had my son the milk has XXXXXXX coming for about 4 days now and what i do for a living o am always in the heat and sweating profusely i had my cylcle at the beginning of this month and i have gained like 15lbs i about 1 week could i bhe pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

The chances of pregnancy are almost nil.

Such a rapid weight gain is more suggestive of a hormonal disturbance.

You need to have a complete hormonal evaluation for the cause.

Regarding the pregnancy, if your periods are overdue then you can do a urine test in first week of september.

It will be false negative if done earlier.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.

Follow-up: Tied tubes,breast lactation.Pregnant? 38 hours later
what does nil mean

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Almost nil means we can never be very sure without doing the confirmatory tests. In the medical science, exceptions are always there. Without examining the patient, we cannot be 100% sure.
You can do a urine for pregnancy test to be very sure.
Regards.