Thyroid test revealed elevated prolactin. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my T3 total is 1.22 ng/ml,
T4 total is 9.66 ug/dl
TSH 5.12 uIU/ml
FSH 5.67mIU/ml
LH 4.01 mIU/ml
Prolactin serum 35.06 ng/ml

what does these test reveal do i have thyroid what do i need to do for prolactin ?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Hi Shailla.

I have reviewed all your Reports.

Your Thyroid is absolutely normal.

Your reproductive hormones namely LH and FSH are normal.

Only your hormone Prolactin is mildly elevated.

Do you have any milky secretion from your nipples ?

Do you get headache, menstrual disturbance before taking Gynova, and blurring of vision ?

Prolactin hormone is secreted from a small gland called Pituitary inside the brain. In some women with hormone disturbance or those who take certain medication, the Prolactin hormone level can be high. The present medication you are on does not appear to cause rise in Prolactin level.

Usually persons with mildly elevated Prolactin level are put on medication with Cabergoline or Bromocriptine. This medication reduces Prolactin. You can take this treatment for 6 months as recommended by your Doctor. After 6 months of medication the Prolactin level can be tested. If it is normal, you can stop the treatment. If not, you may need to get CT Scan of your brain to see if the gland is large in size. If the level keeps increasing as in some patients, you may need another trial of drugs and in extreme cases removal of the gland will be needed.

In your case only mild elevation is seen, so nothing to worry now. Consult your Doctor or Neurosurgeon in this regard. If you have recent blurring of vision, and cannot see properly, you may need to get eyes tested for Visual fields by an Ophthalmologist only, as this gland can grow big in the brain and press on your nerves for vision.

Kindly respond to my queries.

I hope I have answered your queries. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Thyroid test revealed elevated prolactin. What can be done? 14 minutes later
No i dont have any secretion from nipples nither my vision has blurred. I want to know Whether taking cabgolin has any side effects one more thing i want to know that whether proclatin serum reports are accurate or not how to know that as in note it is written that the test are pulsatin in nature and is influenced by various factors.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later
Hi Shailla.

Thanks for the reply.

You may repeat the Tests at another laboratory if you wish to confirm again.

Pulsatile level means higher level either morning or evening and lower level sometime of the day, but all levels will fall in the normal range which is given.

Some Doctors may not start treatment as the Prolactin value is only mildly elevated. Usually when the levels are very high only treatment.

Cabergoline will have some side effects like dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, increased sleepiness, changes in mood, palpitations or feeling of a fast heartbeat etc. Only few side effects may be seen in each patient.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Thyroid test revealed elevated prolactin. What can be done? 23 hours later
I have shown my reports to one of gynecologist she suggested me with Eltroxin50 Mcg for 6 months and Cabgolin 0.5 Mg for 3 months.I dnt understand Why she is suggesting for thyroid medicine when it is under normal range, i have also read on net that latest standard for Tsh as per 2003 is .3 to 3 uIU/ml very confused what do please help?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi Shailla.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, According to older laboratory standards TSH more than 5 was considered Hypothyroidism. Nowdays, TSH more than 3.0 is considered hypothyroidism in early stages and is indicative for treatment.

I am sorry to have not indicated this to you earlier as I was following the older Hospital laboratory schematics. Your TSH level is very mildly elevated and will not be very significant to body processes, so medication should help very quickly.

Kindly do follow the treatment as advised by your Doctor. These medication will take care of your Thyroid and reduce Prolactin levels as well. Take care of your diet, exercise regularly to help cure in hypothyroidism faster. Get your levels tested after 6 months to look for response to treatment.

Wishing speedy recovery.